Sunday, August 06, 2006

Crazy weekend!

What a weekend... I think I need another one to recover!

Friday involved going to the radiography labs at the uni (geeky I know...) but I wanted pictures as our uni has nothing like this at home. They were very friendly and helpful. I then explored the union... shops, banks, function rooms but no bar. This is HK after all...

A quick ride on the KCR (Kowloon Canton Railway, does what it says on the tin) to Sha Tin, I found the 10,000 Buddha's temple this time (2nd time lucky...). It was 644 steps up and down, and even though we'd had a fairly nasty typhoon (only level 3) and the humidity had dropped, I was still very sticky and thirsty by the time I reached the top. Golden Buddhas lined the path, and a pagoda, temple and more buddhas than you can shake a stick at were at the top.

A few photos, and a climb up the pagoda and it was time to head back down to go to the hospital, where the department manager took Tara and I out for a Dim Sum lunch. We were fed all manner of things, all tasty and in lovely surroundings. The random award goes to the jelly-fish and the beef bicep. Both to be dipped in vinegar before eating. I actually quite took to the jelly-fish after a bit... The other dim sum was tasty, and my chopsticks behaved which is crucial!

Back to the halls to relax on the very full stomach, and then out with my friend Dee to "do the markets" - including Ladies Market in Mongkok, and Temple Street Night Market in Tsim Sha Tsui. She left this morning to go home to Texas, after roughly 10 weeks here! I managed to find a cuddly Miffy (one of my target purchases...) and a suitcase (I bargained it down...) and Dee bought lots of gifty bits.

And that was Friday...

Saturday was taking the others to the Prince of Wales Hospital to show them round as we're "switching" placements as of Monday, then to afternoon tea at the Peninsula Hotel (bit like the Ritz...) with Dee which was loads of fun, and filled me up for the rest of the day. Good cup of proper tea too (without condensed milk which makes a change...). After that, we went to the Chinese Arts and Crafts shop, and I tried Chinese Kung Fu tea. The guy in the shop made me lots of (very small and dainty) cups, and I bought some to drink at home. Very yummy!! Then a bit more shopping on Nathan Road and back to the halls to help Dee repack her mammoth suitcase - Jimmy.

Today, I went to Lantau Island by ferry from Hong Kong Island, did some walking, caught a bus to Tai O (a small fishing village) and saw some temples, went to a market and had dinner at a recommended restaurant (good prawns...). Caught the bus to see the Big Buddha, Po Lin Monastry and Wisdom Walk. Didn't manage to climb the 943m Lantau Peak (it was a bit hot and humid for walking...) and got the bus back to Tung Chung (crazy driver... but absolutely stunning views!) to catch the MTR back to Jordan (near the uni). Walked home the last bit, and got a bit of a shock when I got in and looked at the mirror. Despite putting on factor 20 (admittedly only once...) I'm very pink. Centrally heated Jen is not good in such a hot city. As you can imagine, the moisturiser is feeling well loved at the mo!

More photos will go on Flickr when I manage it. And well done Anna, if you're reading this... International Bling!!! :-)

3 Comments:

At Fri Aug 11, 09:14:00 am, Blogger Rosey said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEANY!!!! Have a really great day and thanks so much for the blog, it's really lovely to read about it all and how you're getting on. lots of love

 
At Fri Aug 11, 09:19:00 am, Blogger Clare said...

Happy birthday!

I've been dipping into your blog (found it through backlinks from Three Beautiful Things) but I wasn't sure if you were Rosey's Jen or another Jen. But now I know for sure.

Clare

 
At Fri Aug 11, 01:15:00 pm, Blogger Jen said...

Thanks!! :-) It's great to know you're enjoying it! A great, if relaxing birthday after a slightly crazy night out! (I'm not too old yet, I think!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home